Tuesday, February 19, 2013

The beauty of Feet


 Greetings to all in Christ! I want to share a life lesson with you all that I've experienced. I pray you are blessed and encouraged and take a look at feet in a whole new light! In Jesus name!
~
Here is a link to the song "At Your Feet" by Casting Crowns. I encourage you to listen ...
~
"And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!" Romans 10:15
~
 QUESTION: How can we preach if we are not willing to submit to the call?
~
Learning about service, humility and Love...
A while ago, my husband was joking about washing his feet as he was taking his work boots off one night. At first I was reluctant and kidding him about how stinky his feet were, but I knew there would be something to it, so I prayerfully did it. I ran a little bath water and had him sit on the edge of the tub and began washing his feet. He had been talking with a preacher friend, so since they both know I believe the Word of God, Jimmy wanted to test me and see if I would do as I say. During this time, I felt close to him. I had his undivided attention and he had mine. Even though he towered over me sitting on the edge; this was a true picture of humility, love & service. This was one on one time! I looked him in the eyes as I was finished and I said, "see how much I love you, this is a humbling experience, I'm on my knees washing your stinky feet!" He smiled and we laughed. I was praying through it that God would open his eyes and show him true humbleness and His Love. While drying Jimmy's feet he said, "too bad that didn't count." I said, how do you figure, that is being submissive, you are my husband and you asked me to do this... well, his preacher friend told him that women do this to women and men do this to men in their church... I told him, it did count because he was my husband and I love him enough to do it. I'm not sure what point his friend was trying to make, but this opened the door for me to share the story of Mary and Martha, and Jimmy was quite attentive!
~
"There they made him a supper; and Martha served: but Lazarus was one of them that sat at the table with him.
 Then took Mary a pound of ointment of spikenard, very costly, and anointed the feet of Jesus, and wiped his feet with her hair: and the house was filled with the odour of the ointment."  John 12:2-3 I explained to him that Mary was at Jesus feet, giving Him her all, completely undivided attention, she was showing her love for Him, while Martha was busy in the kitchen preparing the meal... she missed out on the face time!!!
~
While trying to figure out what his friend was trying to tell him, I began prayerfully  searching the Word, and I was reminded of this...
~
"Jesus knowing that the Father had given all things into his hands, and that he was come from God, and went to God; He riseth from supper, and laid aside his garments; and took a towel, and girded himself. After that he poureth water into a bason, and began to wash the disciples' feet, and to wipe them with the towel wherewith he was girded. Then cometh he to Simon Peter: and Peter saith unto him, Lord, dost thou wash my feet? Jesus answered and said unto him, What I do thou knowest not now; but thou shalt know hereafter. Peter saith unto him, Thou shalt never wash my feet. Jesus answered him, If I wash thee not, thou hast no part with me. Simon Peter saith unto him, Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head. Jesus saith to him, He that is washed needeth not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit: and ye are clean, but not all. For he knew who should betray him; therefore said he, Ye are not all clean. So after he had washed their feet, and had taken his garments, and was set down again, he said unto them, Know ye what I have done to you? Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for so I am. If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet. For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you. Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him. If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them." John 13:3-17
~
There is a lot to learn from this ... Jesus is our example of LOVE, Humility & Service... These cannot be done with a pure heart apart from HIM. Jesus said, "Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing."John 15:4-5 If we are in Christ, His attributes will be clearly seen. (This is His fruit) We will WANT to please Him, reach out to others and serve Him with all our being. If you don't have this desire, it's time for self examination...
What does your attitude reveal about you?
~
"Better it is to be of an humble spirit with the lowly, than to divide the spoil with the proud. He that handleth a matter wisely shall find good: and whoso trusteth in the LORD, happy is he." Proverbs 16:19-20


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sin and the simplicity of the Gospel

Remember, it will not be the "act" of sin God will punish come final judgement. Rather, every soul that rejects His only begotten ...