Tuesday, February 26, 2013

True vs False "Service & Missions"


Thinking about today's emphasis on "missions & service"... how many go to another country to be changed!

I heard a "testimony" of an undevoted man who went with his church. He said, "ya know, I don't pray everyday, but I tell ya, if you go on a missions trip, it will change you."

OK, aren't we to take the Gospel (unedited true Gospel) making true disciples as Jesus commanded? Can we truly be dedicated to Christ and His call yet not commune with Him regularly? Doesn't the Gospel itself by the Holy Spirit's power change and transform us? My heart is still grieved over this testimony and the countless others that are just like it. We follow Christ at a high cost, the cost of denying ourselves and carrying our cross daily. Where is the "self gain" Jesus promised? THERE IS NONE! We can't honestly serve Christ and fulfill His great commission without His leading, guiding and Holy Spirit.  If we aren't His disciple, can we make true disciples apart from Him?

Jesus said, "I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing." John 15:5

How dare we "serve" Him with self interest at heart! Is not this life and its purpose all for His glory and gain? True missions is a beautiful and glorious thing. Though I haven't been to a 3rd world country, I have been placed here and now, "for such a time as this" in a mission field of my family, friends, neighbors, my community.

Let us 1st be transformed and understand the cost of that high calling in Christ Jesus that we too may be used for His Kingdom and glory according to His Will and purpose!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sin and the simplicity of the Gospel

Remember, it will not be the "act" of sin God will punish come final judgement. Rather, every soul that rejects His only begotten ...