Thursday, September 19, 2013

Gone Astray?


This evening my kids and I stop at the grocery store to grab a couple things. Feeling quite adventurous, I allow my 3 year old son to walk rather than sit in the cart. Knowing what the outcome would be, I kept a close eye on him. Rowdy & excited he decides to run around. As most 3 year olds with freedom do. I call for him, but he continues his own direction. So do I. He doesn't know I can see him, but he can't see me and becomes hysterical! I call his name and he quiets a little. Yet he still didn't see me so continued. There were a few shoppers who looked at me like I was mean and if I would get him. Little did they care there was a deeper lesson for both of us. The more Jayden heard my voice the more he calmed down and could hear the direction to go. Once he saw me he ran as fast as he could with tears of relief. He didn't leave my side after that. 

Lets apply this spiritually... How often do we go our own ways, deliberately disobeying our Heavenly Father? Have you ever panicked thinking He wasn't near or had abandoned you? I have, even knowing He's always present! 

Jesus gave us this parable in Matthew 18:12-13 "How think ye? if a man have an hundred sheep, and one of them be gone astray, doth he not leave the ninety and nine, and goeth into the mountains, and seeketh that which is gone astray? And if so be that he find it, verily I say unto you, he rejoiceth more of that sheep, than of the ninety and nine which went not astray." 

The shepherd is excited to see the lost sheep welcomed back into the fold, just as the father of the prodigal son. He rejoiced!!! 

Unfortunately, majority have to learn some things the hard way. Which makes me that much more grateful for my Abba Father's grace, love, mercy & forgiveness. At times we have to face chastening, but like any good parent, it's dealt in a measure of love! 

I didn't put my son back in the cart, but I tell you though he strayed a little, it wasn't nearly as far. Love truly does cover a multitude of sin!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sin and the simplicity of the Gospel

Remember, it will not be the "act" of sin God will punish come final judgement. Rather, every soul that rejects His only begotten ...