Monday, September 16, 2013

My friend Grace

Many years ago while doing nurse aide work I met a lady at the end of her days named Grace. She was quiet, sweet and different from the other residents. Day in and day out I would stop in her room to find her reading her tattered but cherished Bible. Everyday I would think to myself, how can anyone read the same thing over and over? After a few months of working with her and many others I took a 2nd shift instead of 1st, only to walk in her room and find she had passed. The nurse approached me and told me it was mine and a friend's job to prepare her body for the morgue that was coming. I was heartbroken. Plus I never had to deal with the "after death" aspect of my job. I've never seen such sweet peace on a face gone on as hers. We cared for her gingerly as her body was frail, even though she was no longer there. I think about this precious lady often in my own walk with Christ. She may never know the impact of her diligence, patience or peaceful presence. Now I know why she read as often as she did. Old, tired and worn she wanted to *know* the One she would spend eternity with. Let us not wait until the end of our days to know the Master. Today is a gift, tomorrow is not promised and I firmly believe there are no strangers in Heaven! People take note of how we live our lives, just as I did with my friend Grace. The trails we will leave on their hearts is often unknown but may the impressions build long standing inquiries as to "why" we do what we do with the peace & presence of Christ. Both Grace and the *grace* of God have forever changed my life!  

1 comment:

  1. Grace--a beautiful name...and what a beautiful legacy she left to go with it.

    ReplyDelete

Sin and the simplicity of the Gospel

Remember, it will not be the "act" of sin God will punish come final judgement. Rather, every soul that rejects His only begotten ...